I was recently talking to a friend of mine from college, and in between reminiscing about the good ole days, we discussed the life lessons we took from college and especially the ones that took us a long time to figure out.
So I’ve boiled down some life lessons into quotable phrases. I wanted to speak at length about them, sharing ones that were brought up and hopefully you’ll share your experiences.
1. “No matter where you go, no matter what you do, sometimes people will hate you and there’s nothing you can do about.”
This particular one took me a long time figure out. I remember being in college and having a lab partner who was treating me poorly. I turned to him late in the semester and confronted him. “Why are you acting like such an asshole?” “Because you bug me,” he replied. “What did I do?” I asked. “Nothing, you just bug me.”
I’m sure this is enough to make a person crazy, naturally its assumed that when we’ve encountered someone who is angry to us we’ve slighted them in some unknown way. Unfortunately that’s not the case. Fortunately there is this other life lesson that comes to mind, “You can’t please everybody.”
2. “You can’t fix everything and not everybody wants help.”
Sometimes people want to wallow in addiction and a depressed state. There is nothing you can do about them. More importantly I’d add, help the people who truly ask for it, and if you can, try to help the people who are too proud to ask for it.
On a side note and one that comes from personal experience. MEN: Sometimes when a lady starts complaining about something, all she wants you to do is listen to her and NOT try to solve the problem like she is one.
3. “You can waste an awful lot of life waiting around for the cool part to start. You don’t live in a book or a movie. If you have a roof, food and someone who loves you, that IS the cool part.”
Be proactive… Do something today that you will be proud of tomorrow. I cleaned my car and changed the oil, today me is proud of yesterday me. I’m not just talking about curing cancer or solving the worlds problems. Live in the today and KNOW it.
Here are some others we talked about.
- “Never consider that a woman/man is way above your league.”
- “Life and growing up don’t just happen, you have to actively pursue the things you want”
- “People are pretty cool. You waste your life trying to feel better than everyone, judging them on appearance or other superficial things. Everyone is human and deserves your respect and kindness.”
- “There is a difference between someone constructively criticizing you and someone who hates you, know the difference.”
- And for those of you who have an inflated view of yourself, “You’d be surprised how easily the world continues on without you”
Anyway, just thought I’d share my feelings on this subject. Please feel free to share you thoughts on life lessons in the comments, I’ll try to comment on every one… I SWEAR!