Last December I made one of the biggest social media decisions in my life. I completely removed my Facebook account. (Twitter as well)
The reasons are three fold.
1. I joined Facebook back in 2005 because I wanted to know if this cute girl in one of my classes was single. Katie D As I’ll call her, was married two years ago. Looks like I missed the boat on that one.
2. I had over 200+ friends but only talked to 20 of them in a year. Sorry to the guy I worked with a couple times in 2009 or that friend of a friend who friended me after hanging out one time. I was too lazy to remove you as a friend so I just closed shop.
3. The only person liking my Facebook status was my mom.
I’ll be honest, I haven’t had a lot of great news to share on Facebook both personally or professionally. Maybe that’s why I only posted funny (more like unfunny) little quips or observations. This probably forced most of my friends to unsubscribe from my Facebook feed. I mean who wants to post funny stuff on Facebook, when you can just post it to your blog? Duh.
Things I’ll miss:
- All of the happy birthday posts
- Facebook stalking the hot ladies
- An excuse to waste time
- Not forgetting birthdays
I guess the moral of the story is, if you want something to be uncool, make sure your parents do it.
If you’re thinking about doing what I did and unsure of how to completely remove Facebook, click here.
I highly recommend you do this, my productivity has gone through the roof.
It looks like I’ll have to concentrate on staying engaged in the real relationships I have left. Darn it…. So much work! Also,If you want to challenge me to a game of Words with Friends (I’m pretty good FYI) my user name is VANWISER.
Don’t hesitate! Close Facebook today!